This recipe yields thin, soft, buttery crepes with perfectly crisp edges. Simple to make and no fancy appliances required. Pull out your blender and a skillet, and you’ll have delicious crepes ready in no time.
I love recipes that are versatile. Recipes that can be turned into something sweet or savory. And these crepes are just that. Super-versatile. Super delicious.
If you’ve never made these French beauties at home before, don’t worry. This is an easy-to-follow recipe that you’ll reach for over and over. It’s the only crepe recipe you need, really. And the best part? There are only 7 ingredients that go into it.
What are crepes?
Essentially, crepes are ultra-thin French pancakes. They’re as delicate and paper-thin as lace with perfectly browned, crisp edges. They differ from pancakes because they usually aren’t made with any leavening agents.
But I’ve added a pinch of baking powder. Hear me out. I know this defies the rule of crepes but adding just a hint, and I really do mean a hint, of leavener gives these crepes a little oomph. Not like pancakes, but just a little something for my fork to dig into.
Crepes are the perfect classy breakfast/brunch food. You could fill them or top them. Serve them with fresh, whipped cream, berries, or Nutella for a classic sweet treat. Or turn them into a savory dish that’s filled with fresh vegetables or meat. Remember when I mentioned how versatile these were? I wasn’t kidding.
Hoping you try making these easy crepes at home because they are the perfect addition to your next Sunday brunch also, this is the only crepe recipe you will ever need in your life. I can’t tell you how many times I come back to this recipe because it’s so easy.
What to Serve Crepes With
Welcome to my favorite part of this recipe: when the crepes have been made and all you need are toppings! The possibilities are endless: as you might have read, you could do savory or sweet crepes. Here are some of my favorite options in serving crepes:
- nutella and bananas
- chocolate and sliced strawberries
- fruit jam
- chicken filling
- sliced fruit
- chocolate drizzle
- cheese filling
Did you know that you can also make these crepes into a crepe cake? That’s right! Layered with custard and topped with the most luscious chocolate ganache, the recipe to this cake can be found right here.
So let’s get to making these crepes! You will need:
- warm milk
- baking soda
- extra virgin olive oil
The Only Easy Crepes Recipe You Will Ever Need
- 2 cups warm milk (I used organic whole milk)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup of warm milk with 1 cup of flour. Whisk together till there are no clumps from the flour.
- Add another cup of warm milk to the bowl.
- Lightly beat 1 large egg and add to the milk and flour. Add in ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, ½ Tablespoon of sugar and 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. Combine. Once finished, it will be runny.
- Heat up a crepe pan on medium heat. Using a ladle make crepes one by one, turning it over to get each side browned up. (This process goes very quickly!)