These sweet and crumbly strawberry jam bars are everything you want in a dessert! Otherwise known in Russian as tertiy pirog, these bars consist of layers of crumbly pastry that sandwich a sweet and gooey jam in the middle.
Table of Contents
Why I Love These Strawberry Jam Bars
I’m all about multi-textured desserts so these jam bars are the perfect option for me! They’re ooey-gooey on the inside and crispy-crumbly on the outside. This bite-sized dessert delivers the perfect bite every time you dive in!
Tertiy pirog translates to “grated dough” and that’s exactly why you get the crisp crumbles on the tops of these jam bars. You may be wondering how one grates dough, and it’s actually pretty cool. You’ll freeze half of the dough for this recipe and grate it over your pastry right before you pop it in the oven. It adds so much yummy texture!
This is one of those recipes where you can learn a really useful technique – because imagine using the tertiy pirog skill over other baked goods like pies or even a savory puff pastry to add some special texture!
Key Ingredients for Jam Bars
There are two components to this recipe so the ingredient list is relatively simple. It may seem like a complicated pastry to concoct, but it’s very beginner-friendly. Since these pastries seem complicated you’ll get to impress your friends with your skills!
Pastry Dough Ingredients
- unsalted butter
- unbleached flour
- baking soda
- lemon juice
- sour cream
I love jam so I always have a few different kinds around the house. The amazing thing about this recipe is that you can swap out different flavors of jam for whatever mood you’re in. I used organic strawberry jam, but you can also make homemade strawberry jam that only requires two ingredients.
Here are some other jam recipes that you can use in this recipe, and then you can keep the leftovers in your fridge to slather on toast or a bagel for the rest of the week!
- No-Cooking Freezer Raspberry Jam
- Easy Apple Jam
- 3-Ingredient Apricot Jam
- Sugar-Free Cherry Jam
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Jam
Chef’s choice! Once you have your dough and your jam made up, all you’ll need is a bit of powdered sugar for the topping.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to Make This Tertiy Pirog Recipe
Step 1: Combine Sugar Mixture
In a small bowl, beat together the sugar, egg, lemon juice, and sour cream for about 2 minutes until everything is combined.
Step 2: Combine Flour Mixture
In a separate bowl, beat together softened butter, baking soda, and flour on a low speed. This mixture will be lumpy from the butter and that’s okay.
Step 3: Combine Sugar and Flour Mixtures
Combine the sugar and flour mixtures with the help of your hands! Mix and knead the dough together until it forms into a ball. The dough will be soft and easy to work with.
Step 4: Halve and Freeze
Divide the dough into two halves and then freeze one half for 15 minutes.
Step 5: Preheat and Prep
Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray or butter your pan if necessary.
Step 6: Make Bottom Layer
Take the room temperature half of dough and spread it out on the bottom of a half-sized baking sheet.
Step 7: Add Jam
Add jam to the top of the dough layer and spread it around evenly.
Step 8: Grate Frozen Dough
After 15 minutes, remove the dough from the freezer and grate it onto the jam spread.
Step 9: Bake
Put the pastry in the oven for 20 minutes. The top will start to brown and that means it’s ready! Let it cool and then sift the powdered sugar on top.
Step 10: Enjoy!
Cut the pastry into squares and enjoy!
It means grated dough in Russian! It describes the dessert we’re making today which consists of a soft and thin layer of dough on the bottom of the pastry, spread with your favorite jam, and then covered in grated dough on top.
Sour cream is actually a powerhouse ingredient in baking! It helps provide moisture to the dough. It adds fat (and so does the butter) to create a beautifully tender dough!
You can keep your jam bars in an airtight container at room temperature for about four days.
Additional Jam-Based Dessert Recipes To Try
Other Tasty Jam Filled Dessert Recipes
If you tried this Strawberry Jam Bars (tertiy pirog) or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Strawberry Jam Bars (tertiy pirog)
- hand mixer
- Cake spatula
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, 1 cup
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups flour, unbleached
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 cup fruit jam, I used organic strawberry
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, beat together 1 large egg, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, and 2 Tablespoons of sour cream for 2 minutes.½ cup sugar, 1 large egg, ½ tsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp sour cream
- In a separate bowl on low speed beat together 1 cup of softened unsalted butter (2 sticks) with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 1/2 cups of flour until everything is mixed. It will be clumpy from the butter, that is normal.2 sticks unsalted butter,, ½ tsp baking soda, 2½ cups flour,
- Combine the sugar and flour mixes together. With the help of your hands, mix the dough together until it forms into a ball. The dough will be soft and easy to work with.
- Divide the dough in half. Take one half and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray or butter up your pan if you need to. (I use ceramic so it doesn’t stick.) You could also use a glass dish.
- Take the other half of dough and spread it on the bottom of a half sized baking sheet.
- On top of the dough spread 1 cup of jam.1 cup fruit jam,
- After 15 minutes, take out the dough from the freezer and grate it onto the jam.
- Put in oven for 20 minutes. The top will start to brown up, that means it’s ready!Let it cool down. Sift powdered sugar on top and cut into squares.¼ cup powdered sugar
- Sift powdered sugar on top and cut into squares.
- You can use any type of jam.
- Let it cool down a little bit before cutting it into squares.