Black Caviar is not an everyday kind of ingredient. Depending on where you are, it could be hard to find. We usually only enjoy black caviar on special occasions, or when we have a romantic evening. Caviar is low in calories: 1 Tbsp is 42 calories. It is high in vitamin B12 (aka cobalamin), which means if you don’t have enough of this vitamin, it may make you anemic. Consider reading this article on the benefits of caviar.
Table of Contents
Substitutions for Caviar
You can definitely substitute this appetizer to make it cheaper, and Smoked salmon is a great money saving option. You could also substitute the cream cheese to creme fraiche or goat cheese.
For the crackers, I usually buy the crisps 34 crackers. They are very thin and don’t overpower your cheese or spread. They do however crack easily if you try to aggressively spread something, but if you gently spread the cream cheese on, these crackers are the best!
Check out these great appetizers:
A Simple Herb and Eggplant Appetizer has walnuts in it, and is a super delicious starter!
You can make this Baked Carrot and Cheese Crostini Appetizer Melt as a classy dish right at home.
Black Caviar Appetizer with Cream Cheese and Dill
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 20 rice crackers, or any crackers you want
- ¼ cup black caviar
- 2 stems fresh dill
- Spread cream cheese on each cracker.4 oz cream cheese,, 20 rice crackers,
- Place ¼ teaspoon of black caviar on each cracker, in the middle on top of cream cheese.¼ cup black caviar
- Chop fresh dill and place on each cracker, on top of the caviar.2 stems fresh dill