- 2 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 cans black beans, strained & rinsed
- 5 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
In a large soup pot, heat the oil on medium heat and add the chopped onion and a pinch of salt. Cook onion until it starts to caramelize about 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally then add the garlic and stir in for 1 minute.
Stir in cubed sweet potatoes, smoked paprika, cumin, fire roasted tomatoes, salt and pepper and strained black beans.
Add broth and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow soup to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
Turn off heat and stir in 1 cup of chopped cilantro and 3 cups of chopped greens.
Allow to sit until greens are wilted, then serve topped with the extra chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1515mg | Potassium: 985mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 14690IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 4mg