Zucchini is a favorite summer vegetable. It’s a summer squash that can be used in so many ways. I personally love it, whether in a soup, as a spread with a sprinkle of salt, roasted with parmesan cheese, sautéed, or in a salad like this one. It makes a great side dish to any kind of protein.
Long ribbons of zucchini makes a fun and delightful presentation. You may be wondering if you can eat raw zucchini, the answer is yes! Just like most vegetables, you can enjoy zucchini without cooking it.
This salad has fresh citrus juice and the perfect type of cheese: pecorino. This Italian cheese is made from sheep’s milk, giving it the crumbly texture and smokey, salty flavor that makes the perfect addition to the zucchini ribbons.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- lemon juice
- ground black pepper
How to make a Simple Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Fresh Basil and Slivered Almonds
Simple Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Fresh Basil and Slivered Almonds
- Vegetable peeler
- salad bowl
- mixing spoon
- 4 medium zucchinis, thinly peeled into ribbons
- 5 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup pecorino, think sliced
- ¼ cup almonds, slivered
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, slice the zucchini into long, thin slices down to the core of the zucchini, then discard the core once you can’t shave anymore.
- Place zucchinis and sliced radishes into a large bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of salt, toss to coat, and set aside.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drain any accumulated water from zucchini out of the large bowl and add dressing to zucchini and radishes and toss well, top with slivered almonds, chopped basil, and pecorino, then toss again.