When you have access to fresh fish fillet, this is the perfect soup to make.
What you need to make a Healthy Seafood Vegetable Chowder
Avocado oil: or olive oil
Onion: Yellow (not sweet)
Garlic: For a boost of flavor.
Coconut milk: If you don’t like coconut milk, you can use whole milk
Vegetable stock: or chicken stock
Herbs: Dried thyme and dried dill, or parsley or chives for garnish.
Soy sauce: or tamari, if you want a gluten-free option!
Fish: Use halibut or cod filet or any boneless & skinless fillet that you may like.
Vegetables: Carrots and potato!
Salt and pepper to taste
How To Make this Simple One pot Chunky Fish and Vegetable Chowder
Simple One Pot Chunky Fish and Vegetable Chowder
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced into half moons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk, or whole milk
- 5 cups vegetable stock, or chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 lb cod filet, cut into bite-sized pieces (you can use any white fish)
- 3 cups potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parsley or chives, for garnish
- Heat a medium sized soup pot on medium heat and add oil and onions and a pinch of salt. Cook until soft and translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and stir in for one minute, making sure not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the milk or coconut milk, thyme, dill, soy sauce, potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add fish into the soup and let it simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with chopped parsley or chives (or both) on each bowl.