How to Make a Greek Chicken Salad
Just like a traditional Greek salad, this one (other than the red onion) this one is also made with cucumber, tomatoes, kalamata olives, and feta cheese, then tossed together with crispy and fresh romaine lettuce.
Greek Salad Dressing
If going to Greece and enjoying the original Greek Salad Dressing ( I heard it’s worth the try) isn’t an option at the moment, making your own at home is the next best thing.
Many people buy ready-made dressings just for convenience, and I have done that myself before but it really doesn’t compare to making your own from scratch and with far fewer ingredients than you would find in a bottle of dressing from the store.
While there are a few tasty dressings in stores, to me, the Greek one isn’t one of them. Try making your own, and you will see the difference!
To make your own, all you need is a minced garlic clove, 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp of fresh-squeezed lemon juice, ½ tsp Dijon mustard, ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp of honey to complement the garlic, and ½ tsp dried oregano (a real Greek salad dressing always has oregano). Combine these ingredients with ¼ cup of olive oil and a pinch of ground black pepper.
RECIPE FOR GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST
For some protein, I have added grilled chicken breast to this salad. This is optional but makes a great full meal for lunch or dinner.
For a simple low-calorie recipe of grilled chicken, use a boneless and skinless chicken breast. Rub olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper all over the meat. Then, grill each side for 7-8 minutes. Allow chicken to cool before slicing.
Assemble the salad with grilled sliced chicken and toss with the Greek salad dressing.
Simple Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken and Greek Dressing
- mixing spoon
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, loosely chopped
- 1 medium English cucumber, or regular cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- ½ cup kalamata olives, or more if desired
- ½ cup feta cheese, cubed, or more if desired
- 2 medium chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, prepared per instructions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 medium chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Add romaine lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives to a large bowl and toss together well.
- Add sliced grilled chicken, feta cheese (optional) and desired amount of dressing.
- Serve topped with extra feta or olives, fresh oregano and a squeeze of lemon.
For the Grilled Chicken:
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry.
- Rub with olive oil on both sides, squeeze out a bit of lemon juice, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 7-8 minutes on each side, being careful to not lift the chicken in between flipping it.
- Allow chicken to cool and slice as desired to add to the Greek Salad.