My favorite way to eat squash is roasting it. Squash on its own may not satisfy your taste buds, but when roasted squash makes it into a kale salad it changes up the taste.
What’s in a winter kale salad?
There is a lot of flavors that go into this superfood salad. With minimal effort and ingredients. This one, combines kale, Brussel sprouts, squash, and green onions. Tossed with a flavorful dressing made from garlic, dijon mustard, sherry vinegar, syrup, and salt.
All right, let’s put this salad together! You will need:
- winter squash (acorn, futsu, or delicata varieties)
- avocado oil
- maple syrup
- dried thyme
- black pepper
- brussel sprouts
- kale leaves
- green onions
For the dressing:
- olive oil
- sherry vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- maple syrup
- garlic powder
- Italian parsley
- bacon bits (or vegan bacon bits)
How to Make a Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad with Roasted Winter Squash
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad with Roasted Winter Squash
- cutting board
- salad bowl
- 1 medium winter squash, acorn, futsu, or delicata. Deseeded, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 large pinch black pepper
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, very thinly sliced or shaved
- 5-7 leaves kale, destemmed, sliced into very thin slivers
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp garlic powder, or 1 minced garlic clove
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped, optional
- ¼ cup bacon bits, or vegetarian bacon bits, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place seeded and cut winter squash on baking sheet and drizzle olive oil, maple syrup, salt, thyme and pepper over squash. Toss well to coat then spread out evenly on baking sheet.
- Roast squash for 35-40 minutes or until its cooked through and starting to brown. Remove from oven and allow squash to cool slightly.
- While squash is roasting add shaved Brussels sprouts, kale and green onions to a bowl. Toss well.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk well.
- Add dressing and slightly cooled squash to a large bowl, drizzle dressing on top and toss well to coat.
- Top with bacon bits, extra green onions or chopped Italian parsley (optional).