When the holidays come along, I understand when the kitchen is a big mess and there’s a baking frenzy. Rather than snacking on whatever you’re baking, I recommend an alternative: a rainbow winter salad to add some brightness to your day (before that early 4pm sunset) and a citrusy vinaigrette to top it off.
With a colorful mix of ingredients, this salad will look like summer in a bowl but have all of the local flavors that are so nutritious for your body, especially during the cold season. Flu season is well underway and keeping up with fresh and seasonal fruits and veggies is a great way to boost your immune system.
The crunch, the flavor, the colors: they’re all here! Right in one bowl.
So what will I need to make this Rainbow Winter Salad?
- red cabbage
- salad greens
- pomegranate seeds
- daikon radish
- green onion
What will you need to make the Walnut & Orange Dressing?
- sherry vinegar
- sea salt
- toasted walnut oil
Fruits, veggies, crunch, and a great variety of them all: what a great salad mix-up!
How to make a Rainbow Winter Salad with Walnut Orange Vinaigrette
Rainbow Winter Salad with Walnut Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded or thinly sliced
- 3 cups salad greens, of your choice, chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup radicchio, or other winter chicory, chopped
- 1 daikon radish, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, loosely chopped
- oranges, optional, sliced
- ¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ¾-1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ⅓ cup toasted walnut oil
- Gently toast walnuts over medium heat until golden brown, set aside to cool.
- Add all salad ingredients to a bowl and toss well.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and add toss well until all vegetables evenly coated.
- Top with extra pomegranate seeds, green onions, a squeeze of orange or extra salt or pepper to taste (optional).