Do you enjoy quinoa as a side sometimes? It’s a great side dish like couscous or rice, but has different benefits. Some people think that it’s just one of those super healthy foods that only dieters eat: that’s not entirely true!
Quinoa is actually seeds, but it is very similar to brown rice in it’s calorie counts and micronutrients. You can have it as a side like I mentioned, or use it as a salad base when lettuce isn’t up your alley. It’s a great flavor base, and as you can taste in this salad, it can combine with so many different flavor options! Enjoy this quinoa salad with beans and mangoes!
I am so glad I finally get a chance to share this quinoa black bean and mango salad with you. It’s one of my favorite quinoa salads! It’s vegan, sweet, savory, full of protein, very satisfying, gluten-free, and the list goes on and on.
A gluten free salad sounds like it’s a given. Obviously, salads are leafy and really there aren’t many chances to put gluten into salads. A lot of store-bought salad dressings add different forms of gluten to thicken the dressing, or to add a bit of extra flavor. That’s why I am so big on making homemade salad dressings! It’s important to know what you’re putting into your body. The dressing for this recipe has extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, and salt. These three ingredients bring out all of the delicious flavors in the salad while also bringing them together like a harmony.
As for the benefits in this salad, there are so many but mainly, quinoa and back beans boost energy levels as well as aid in weight loss. Delicious mango unclogs pores and freshens the face.
What do I need for this salad?
Quinoa, which is gluten-free and contains B vitamins.
Black beans helps to lower blood pressure and promotes healthy digestion.
Red bell peppers are rich in vitamin C and vitamin A.
Mangoes boost immunity and support eye health.
Cilantro helps to fight food poisoning.
For the dressing, you’ll need:
- white wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
How to make Quinoa Black Bean Mango Salad with Crunch
Quinoa Black Bean Mango Salad with Crunch
- 1 cup organic quinoa, + 2 cups water to cook it
- 1 can organic black beans, 15 oz
- ¼ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 stem fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches salt
- Bring 2 cups of water and 1 cup quinoa to a boil. Lower the temperature, cover the pot, and let it simmer until all the water is gone. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Drain 1 can of organic black beans and rinse with cold water.
- Combine quinoa and black beans together.
- Chop 1/4 red bell pepper, 1 mango, and 1 stem of fresh cilantro; add to the quinoa.
- Dressing: In a small bowl whisk together 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, and a couple pinches of salt. Mix with the salad.