This cake is fluffy and soft, but not overpowering. The cream cheese frosting makes a delicious addition to the flavors of the cake. It’s sure to be a hit with the family!
It’s fluffy and soft, but not overpowering. The cream cheese frosting makes a delicious addition to the flavors of the cake. Either way, it’s sure to be a hit with the family!
Bring out the poppy seed flavor in every bite of this Poppy Seed Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. This is a crowd-pleasing cake that’s sure to get some praise. One of my favorite features of this recipe is that it’s so versatile. You can make this cake as a round cake, a bundt cake, or in the form of a loaf.
Also, the cream cheese frosting is absolutely amazing. It is made of cream cheese, unsalted butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla: four ingredients that are already on hand! It is super simple to make and is one of the most delicious cream recipes ever.
Are Poppy Seeds Healthy?
Poppy seed plants go back in the ages. After the poppy flowers begin to dry up, their seeds start developing in the pods. Some may be skeptical of poppy seeds, but no worries: this is one of the parts of the plant that is legal to produce and acquire.
They add a crunch to baked goods in addition to adding some nutrients to your day. They provide a source of mineral, calcium, iron, and zinc; and that is just from a teaspoon of poppy seeds.
What I Need to Make a Poppy Seed Cake?
This is the perfect dessert if you love poppy seeds! It’s a soft, moist, and buttery cake with a load of poppy seeds.
You won’t need to Google any ingredients when making this cake. As a matter of fact, you might even have the ingredients already in your kitchen! Here is a list of what you need to gather:
- Poppy seeds
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Large eggs
- Baking powder
- All-purpose flour, unbleached
- Salt (optional)
What do I need to make the Cream Cheese Frosting?
- cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
Poppy seeds are so versatile! Here are some more poppy seed recipes:
This Easy Homemade 4 Ingredient Poppy Seed Dressing is perfect for any salad.
You can bake Crisp and Soft Poppy Seed Pinwheel Cookies to enjoy with tea or coffee!
Poppy Seed Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting
- Spatula set
- hand mixer
- Stand mixer
- Cake spatula
- 1 cup milk, I used organic 2%
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened, 12 Tablespoons
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour, unbleached
- ¼ tsp salt, optional
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened, half a stick
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, bring 1 cup of milk to a boil. Turn off the heat and add in 1/2 cup of poppy seeds. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray two 9″ cake pans.
- Beat 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter for 1 minute, add 1 1/4 cups of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat together until creamy.
- In a bowl, add together the dry ingredients 2 cups of all purpose flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoons of salt. Mix with a spoon.
- On low speed add the dry ingredients into the mixer with the butter.
- Slowly pour in milk with poppy seeds into the batter.
- Separate the whites from the 3 large eggs.
- In a clean bowl on high speed, beat egg whites until white and fluffy.
- Add in the remaining sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy peaks form.
- With a large rubber spatula fold the beaten whites with sugar into the batter.
- Spoon half the batter into each of the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cakes.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: On medium speed, beat the softened 8 ounce cream cheese, 4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Until smooth.
- To put the cake together: Place one of the cooled down cakes on a serving dish. Spread 1/3 of the cream.
- Place the second cake on top and spread the rest of the cream all over the cake.
- You may decorate it as you please. I added some jam on top.