Hey you! Yes, YOU! I know you’re desperately looking to get out of the “boring snack” rut. I’ve got good news for you: I’m sharing one of my favorite snack recipes that also works as the perfect appetizer for a crowd.
It’s easy to prepare.
And it’s absolutely delicious.
What’s there not to love?
Nothing. Seriously, there’s not one single thing I’d change in this recipe. I’ve perfected it over the years. I’ve come up with the absolute best combination of veggies. I’ve nailed the baking down to the minute. It is an absolute fool-proof recipe. And it is divine!
Let’s Talk Ingredients:
Zucchini. This is the base of our recipe. I like to pop the zucchini (whole) in the oven for a few minutes so it’s nice and soft. This makes it easy to scoop out. Then I just cut into my preferred size. I like having bite-sized zucchini, but feel free to leave it whole, too!
Beans. Black beans work great here. They’re a great source of protein and fiber. Plus, the consistency is wonderful in this dish.
Corn. It’s not tex-mex without some good ole’ sweet yellow corn.
Cheese. If buying pre-shredded cheese, look for the Mexican 4-cheese style. It’s a combination of Monterey Jack, cheddar, asadero, and queso cheese.
Salsa. It brings moisture to the dish.
Tex Mex Seasoning. Taco Seasoning would work here too.
Cilantro and Lime for garnishing.
My family absolutely loves these Tex Mex Zucchini Bites. And if you’re wanting to make a meal out of this recipe, add some ground beef! It is so good!
How to make Mexican Tex Mex Topped Zucchini Bites
Mexican Tex Mex Topped Zucchini Bites
- baking sheet
- 8 oz ground beef
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 zucchinis, sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup black beans
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup Mexican cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small pan, add beef and onion. Season with a pinch of salt, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until beef is browned.
- In a medium bowl add the beef. Then add corn, beans, green onion, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and a pinch of salt.
- On a tin foil lined baking sheet, lay the zucchinis and top each with a spoonful of the mixture. Bake for 13 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!