This homemade sweet meringue dessert comes together with only a handful of ingredients. Delightfully crisp on the outside, and perfectly soft on the inside, these meringues are absolutely irresistible.
Oh sweet, sweet meringues. What would the holidays be without you? Meringues always taste special because of their crispy yet airy texture and their sweet taste. But they somehow have extra oomph around the holidays.
This recipe features high-piled, swirly meringues topped with sweet cream and garnished with fresh fruit. It is so classy and really is a showstopper on any table. And best of all? They’re absolutely delicious.
Table of Contents
What are Meringues?
Meringues are “cookies” that taste nothing like traditional cookies. Made mostly from sugar and egg whites, meringue cookies are piped directly onto a baking sheet. They are cooked at a low temperature for much longer; this recipe requires you to bake these meringues for a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes. At 250F for the first 15 minutes, and at 180F for the next 1.5 hours. This low temperature is what gives the meringues the crispy exterior with a cloud-like center.
They’re the perfect addition to any party or gathering. And they’re equally delicious on a random weekday.
What makes these Meringues so special?
They’re the perfect texture. Crisped edges when you bite into it, and light and airy immediately.
They’re made from everyday ingredients you probably already have at home but taste as they came from a professional bakery.
They can be served as is, but when topped with cream and fresh fruit, you get an extraordinary taste.
Each bite will literally melt in your mouth. It’s hard to stop yourself from reaching for a second or third helping. They’re just that darn good!
You can choose what goes on top. In the summer, you can add seasonal fruits like the little cubed mangoes in the picture. I’ve added nutella or cream cheese in the ingredients as an option. Sprinkle with some chopped nuts on top and these meringues will be ready to be devoured!
What will I need to make these meringues?
- egg whites
- whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- fresh fruit
- cream cheese
Looking for more individual desserts? These recipes are perfectly sized:
These Sugarless Dough Rogaliki (rugelach) are a classic Slavic staple.
You can make bakery-style Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Muffins in your own kitchen with this easy recipe!
How to Make Sweet Meringue Dessert
- 6 egg whites
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup fresh fruits, sliced or cubed
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 250F and prepare your oven sheets with parchment paper.
For the meringue:
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat 6 egg whites until fluffy and white. Slowly add in 1 ½ cups sugar and mix.6 egg whites, 1½ cups sugar
- Continue beating until the mixture gets thicker. It will be ready when you have stiff peaks.
- Into a piping bag, add in the meringue mix and pipe out small round circles onto the baking sheet. Leave a ½ inch space between each circle.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes at 250F.
- After 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 180F and bake for another 1 ½ hours.
Making the cream:
- With a hand mixer beat 2 cups whipping cream until stiff peaks.2 cups whipping cream
- Add in the cream cheese, then powdered sugar. Put into the fridge until ready to use. Slice the fruits.½ cup powdered sugar, ¼ cup cream cheese
Putting the dessert together:
- Put whipping cream mix into a piping bag with a decorative tip and add in the cream.
- Top the meringues with cream, fruit and mint and they are ready to eat.¾ cup fresh fruits,, nutella, nuts,