Looking for something totally new? Try this kohlrabi apple sunflower sprout salad.
What is kohlrabi?!
This root vegetable is one that I usually pass by at the produce aisle without giving it a second look, but it’s actually worth a try. It is part of the cabbage, Brussel sprouts, broccoli family, and we all know that anything within the broccoli family is loaded with health benefits.
Full of fiber, which is incredible for your digestion system. Just a few servings of kohlrabi will help move bowels along.
Low in calories: great news if you are watching your calorie intake and trying to lose extra pounds.
Energy: because of all the vitamins and minerals packed into this vegetable, it gives you a lot of real energy to help you throughout your day.
Bone health: Bones get weaker over time, which is why older adults are prone to break bones more easily. A great way to keep your bones healthier for longer is to eat foods that are mineral-rich, like Kohlrabi.
Easy to prepare: It can be eaten raw or cooked.
Ingredients you need to make this Kohlrabi Apple Sunflower Sprout Salad
This salad is loaded with health benefits, and not just from Kohlrabi. In addition to the German turnip added this salad is also apples, sunflower sprouts, and parsley. All gently tossed with olive oil, juice of a lemon, some freshly grated lemon zest, a tablespoon of honey, a pinch of salt and pepper.
For more flavor, add feta or parmesan cheese as a topping.
Kohlrabi Apple Sunflower Sprout Salad
- 2 green or red apples, julienned
- 1 medium-large kohlrabi, peeled & julienned
- 2 cups sunflower sprouts, or sprouts of your choice
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 medium-sized lemon, juicd
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large pinch black pepper
- 1 sprinkle feta cheese, or parmesan cheese for topping
- Place julienned apples, kohlrabi, sprouts, and parsley in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and mix well.
- Top with extra parsley, salt, pepper, and optional parmesan or feta cheese.