Even just looking at beets, most likely you are familiar with red beets, but there are many other types of beets. Golden beets, for example, taste like the red beets, but they don’t stain like the red beets, and will give a yellow/orange color to your plate.
This beet salad with oranges and kale gives a great example of mixing and matching ingredients. You will notice in the recipe I didn’t use a dressing.You can if you want, but I found that it was too much since oranges have the delicious sweet citrus flavors and kale I sautéed in a tablespoon of oil.
BENEFITS OF GOLDEN BEETS
Besides the golden color, golden beets contain a good amount of fiber and are a natural source of sugar. They also decrease the risk of heart disease and orange colored foods contain an abundance of antioxidants.
Citrusy oranges purify the blood and protect the skin. Keeping teeth and bones healthy, this fruit also adds sweetness and a lot of vitamin C. To add to all that, the kale contains a large amount of iron and 10 times more vitamin C than spinach.
What do I need to make this recipe?
Golden beet is high in antioxidants and helps to lower blood pressure.
Kale is filled with vitamin A, supporting the immune system.
Orange protects against cell damage, and helps make collagen.
Feta cheese is rich in calcium and phosphorus, which supports muscle function.
Candied pecans add the crunch and light sweet touch to this recipe, making them the perfect topping addition.
Along with those ingredients, you will need water and olive oil.
Simple Golden Beet Salad with Oranges and Kale
- 1 golden beet, boiled, peeled, & sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups kale
- 1 orange, peeled & sliced
- 1 Tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp candied pecans, chopped
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Add in 1 golden beet and cook for half an hour. Drain the water and let the beet cool.
- Carefully peel beet and slice it.
- Heat up 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a small skillet.
- Sauté 2 cups kale for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Arrange kale on a plate with sliced beet.
- Peel 1 orange and slice it up, then add to the kale.
- Add 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese and 1 tablespoon chopped candied pecans. Enjoy!