Harvest season is the best!
Around this time of year is when my imagination goes absolutely wild with recipes for salads. It’s harvest season, and there are so many colorful fruits and vegetables ready to be picked and eaten. Usually, I have a garden of my own, even if it’s just a little one out on the porch.
If you don’t have a garden of your own, check out your local farmer’s markets for seasonal produce. I picked up striped eggplants and some tomatoes on the vine just last week at our local market. Since I prefer to bake or roast vegetables instead of sautéing them, I knew these purple striped eggplants would make a delicious warm dish perfect for fall.
Fresh vegetables are so good for you. I just love how each one contains so many health benefits! For example: eggplant is linked to bone health and weight-loss, tomatoes benefit the heart and contain a small amount of calories, and spinach is a superfood that is high in iron.
What do I need to make this recipe?
Striped eggplant is filled with vitamin A, which supports your immune system.
Tomatoes contain lycopene, which supports heart health.
Spinach supports bone health and gives your body vitamin C.
Feta cheese is rich in calcium and phosphorus.
Along with those ingredients, you will need garlic, olive oil, and salt.
Simple Stacked Eggplant Appetizer with Tomato and Cheese
- cutting board
- garlic press
- mixing bowl
- 2 small striped eggplants, sliced
- 3-4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp spinach
- Slice eggplants into 1 cm pieces. Add to a bowl and drizzle 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Give it a good toss and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Slice 4 tomatoes into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, mix 6 oz crumbled feta cheese, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, and 2 Tablespoons chopped spinach.
- Place half of the eggplant slices on a baking sheet. On top of each slice place a slice of tomato and then a teaspoon of the feta mixture. Add another a slice of eggplant, another slice of tomato and a teaspoon of feta mixture. Drizzle the rest of extra-virgin olive oil on top of each stack.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes then enjoy!