When soup season rolls around, do you tend to go back to familiar favorites or try new recipes? For me, new recipes are always fun. I like to explore and see what kind of ingredients and produce can make a soup that I have never tried before. Even a new take on old classics can feel like you’re exploring – but also playing it safe.
That’s where this Dairy-Free Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup comes in! While most tomato soups may not be dairy free, it’s kind of simple to make it that way. Like, super, super simple. Not by using alternative milks, but with cashews. When cooked and blended, cashews make the perfect addition to soups where you can leave out the milk or cream!
This soup is amazing. It’s made with juicy fresh tomatoes that you may have growing in your garden this spring, as well as a hint of garlic and fresh basil. This soup is a perfect start to a meal or is perfect as a meal on its own.
What You Need to Make a Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Roasted tomato soup is all about the fresh tomatoes, which are oven-roasted with garlic and a hint of salt. Then, they’re simmered in vegetable stock with a load of fresh basil leaves and thickened with soaked cashews.
How To Make Dairy-Free Tomato Basil Soup
Dairy-Free Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 5-6 medium tomatoes, Roma or Red tomatoes
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 15-20 medium basil leaves
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add cashews to a small bowl and cover with hot water. Allow them to soak for 30-45 minutes then drain and rinse.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut tomatoes in half and place on baking sheet along with peeled garlic.
- Drizzle tomatoes and garlic with 3 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Roast tomatoes and garlic for 45 minutes then remove from oven and set aside to cool a bit.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Allow onions to caramelize by cooking on medium heat for 20-30 minutes on medium heat stirring occasionally until golden brown.
- Once onions are caramelized add the oregano to the onions and stir to combine.
- Add all ingredients (tomatoes, garlic, onions, cashews, basil, vegetable broth) to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return blended soup to a pot and heat until warm.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh oregano and/or basil.