I’ll preface this by saying cream of wheat is not a trendy breakfast option. It’s not the avocado toast of 2020. It isn’t a tall glass of green smoothie that’s trending on Instagram. It is a very humble breakfast that generations before us often used. But let me tell you, it’s got some great benefits.
You can’t fool around with breakfast, you just can’t! It’s the most important meal of the day. Thankfully, there are so many options to choose from. Savory or sweet, it’s imporant to choose an option that is nutritious.
Cream of wheat is not a trendy breakfast choice, but it has some great health benefits. Just some benefits of cream of wheat include it being rich in iron, low calories, and carbohydrates. Fueling your tissues and brain, it also is a good source of fiber and has some amount of protein. And you won’t get wrong with fruit and nuts: fruit is packed with potassium and fiber and nuts contain fats that are good for you.
Low In Calories
Rich In Iron
Great Source Of: niacin, vitamin b6, thiamine, and riboflavin
And isn’t that what breakfast should be about? It should be a healthy start to your day. It should be chock full of vitamins and minerals that will energize you throughout the day. Don’t people always say breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Make it the most important with this cream of the wheat recipe.
But let me tell you. This recipe is anything but boring. It’s not like how generations before us ate it. Making it and adding a little bit of salt, or a little bit of sugar to it and calling it a day. Growing up, cream of wheat was on the breakfast table a lot: and that’s exactly how my mother used to make it when we were growing up. With milk and a dash of sugar.
But by adding nuts and fruits, you can really take this plain-jane cream of wheat to a whole ‘other level. It not only tastes much more delicious, but it also adds nutritional value and keeps you satisfied for a longer time.
(It is so much better than cereal with milk). My mom always cooked it with milk and a pinch of sugar and that is how I continued to cook for my kids. But by adding fruit and nuts, it makes it so much more beneficial, and gives it a sweet burst of flavor!
Let’s make this recipe! You will need:
Milk is packed with calcium, potassium, and B vitamins.
Cream of wheat contains B vitamins, niacin, and folate.
Sugar sweetens up this classic recipe!
Toppings of your choice can vary in fruits and nuts, and I’ve added a list below!
How do we put it together?
- Over medium heat, warm up the milk. Stir constantly so the milk does not run.
- Add uncooked cream of wheat and sugar. Continue stirring until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Slice mango and add to cooked cream of wheat along with blueberries, pumpkin seeds, and almonds. Add fresh mint and enjoy!
Cream of Wheat with Fruits and Nuts Breakfast
- Serving bowl
- cutting board
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp cream of wheat, uncooked
- 1 tsp sugar, or to taste
- ½ mango, sliced
- 1 Tbsp blueberries
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp almonds, sliced
- fresh mint
- Over medium-low heat warm up 2 cups of milk. Stir constantly so milk does not run.
- Add 2 Tbsp uncooked cream of wheat and 1 tsp sugar. Continue stirring until it starts to thicken; 5 minutes. Take off heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Slice 1/2 mango and add to cooked cream of wheat along with 1 Tbsp blueberries, 1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, and 1 Tbsp sliced almonds. Add fresh mint and enjoy!