Level up from a classic chicken noodle soup to a Vegetable Soup with Chicken and Rice, fewer calories and more nutrition.
It has been a while since I have posted a soup recipe. It is not because I haven’t been cooking soups (I cook soups at least twice a week), but mainly because I have been experimenting with soups and didn’t want to post something I wouldn’t make again. My whole family enjoyed this chicken, rice, and vegetable soup even on this hot summer day.
Like most soups should be, it has a good amount of vegetables and protein but is nice and light in flavor. Simple soup recipes are so much better than needing to find not-as-common ingredients for a dish. In this recipe, almost all of the ingredients are ones that you’d most likely have on hand. That’s a good reason to make this soup!
Broth makes a great base to lots of soups, but when you don’t have any at home, this soup is a great go-to. It only requires water, chicken, and potatoes to make the base, and even then you still keep the potatoes and chicken and enjoy them with the soup! That sounds like a win-win recipe to me.
Table of Contents
What do I need to make this recipe?
Chicken is a great source of protein, which helps to build and repair tissues.
Yukon potatoes are rich in fiber, antioxidants, and are so easy to prepare in many dishes!
Yellow onion helps to control blood sugar and supports bone health.
Carrots are rich in vitamin A, which helps to improve eye health.
Broccoli is filled with vitamin A and vitamin K.
White rice is gluten free and super easy to digest.
Along with those ingredients, you will need olive oil, water, salt, black pepper, and fresh dill.
My family loves veggie soups! Here are some more of our favorite recipes:
Each ingredient in this 30 Minute Vegetable Soup All-in-one Pot works together to make a delicious bowl of soup!
You can make a bowl of this Healing Chicken and Vegetable Soup when anyone is sick! It’s the ideal nutritious comfort food.
How to make a Vegetable and Rice Soup with Chicken
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boneless & sinless, cut into bite size pieces
- 5 medium Yukon potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup white rice, cooked
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh dill, chopped, for garnish
- In a medium size soup pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil.8 cups water
- Add in salt, chicken, and potatoes, then cook on medium heat until the potatoes are soft.1 lb chicken thighs,, salt,, 5 medium Yukon potatoes,
- In a skillet, heat up 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Add in onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.2 Tbsp olive oil, ½ yellow onion,
- Add carrots to the onion and cook for another minute. Set aside.2 carrots,
- When the potatoes and meat are cooked, add the onion and carrots to the soup pot along with the broccoli and cooked rice.½ yellow onion,, 2 carrots,, 1 small head broccoli,, ½ cup white rice,
- Add salt and pepper to taste.salt,, ground black pepper,
- Bring the soup to a boil, then turn off heat.
- Garnish with fresh dill.fresh dill,