This cabbage salad is great to get back on tract to a healthy living after a holiday, or just a weekend. I like this salad mostly because you can make it ahead of time and it has the sweet and tangy taste. It’s full of nutrition and made from just a few everyday ingredients.
Eating cabbage strengthens the immune system, due to its high vitamin C content. Bell peppers promote vision and provide shiny and healthy hair! Another nutritious ingredient, carrot, cleanses the body, and slows down the aging.
While not everyone overeats during the holidays, we definitely stay on the not-so-healthy side from all of the traditional dishes. Cabbage packs in a double punch with the detoxing. It not only helps the liver to process toxins better, but also helps your body to let go of excessive liquids, taking those toxins away. What better veggie to have than cabbage for a post-holiday detox?
What do I need to make this salad?
Cabbage helps to keep inflammation in check and is packed with vitamin C.
Bell peppers contain vitamins A and C, and they provide your body with fiber.
Carrots contain beta-carotene and and vitamin K!
Garlic cloves have very few calories and contain powerful antioxidants.
Along with that, you will need boiled water, sugar, vinegar, and olive oil.
Make-Ahead Sweet and Tangy Simple Cabbage Salad
- ½ cabbage, grated
- 1½ bell peppers, ½ of each color: green, red, and yellow (chopped)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ cup water, boiled
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ cup light olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Grate 1/2 cabbage.
- Chop or slice thinly 1/2 of each colored bell pepper. (You could also use the same color if that is all you have on hand.)
- Grate 1 large carrot (or 2 small carrots).
- Dressing: Boil 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar. After sugar dissolves in the hot water whisk in 1 Tablespoon salt, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup light olive oil and minced 3 garlic cloves.
- Combine vegetables and dressing together well.