Cooking the Beets:
HOW TO BOIL BEETS:
There are several different options on how to cook your beets. I find that the best and healthiest way is to fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil, add beets, and cook for an hour or until tender. Just by poking a fork into the beet will let you know if the beet is soft enough. Drain the water, take the beets out, and let them cool down (beets should be cool enough to handle or cold). This allows for easy peeling after beets are cooled down.
HOW TO ROAST BEETS:
Another method of cooking beets is to wrap beets whole or individually with foil and spread on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for an hour on preheating oven to 350F for 40-60 minutes. The amount of cooking time will depend on the size of the beets.
Feel free to choose whichever method works best for you, and after the beets are cooled down, peel each one (they peel easily).
Do I have to use hazelnuts?
If hazelnuts are not your best choice of nuts, walnuts would great with this beet salad recipe. You would still want to toast them up in a skillet.
Simple Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Nuts over Greens
- 1 large red beet, cooked, peeled, & thinly sliced
- 2 oz arugula, washed
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Boil the beets until soft (check their tenderness with a fork). Let them cool down, then peel and slice.
- Arrange greens on a plate.
- Add beets, goat cheese, hazelnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
- Make the dressing by combining together 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 Tsp dijon mustard, ⅛ tsp salt, and ⅛ tsp ground black pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over salad mixture and enjoy!