I’m a big fan of one-pot meals.
Sorry, that’s an understatement. I will go out of my way to look for and create one-pot-meals. No-fuss, no hassle, and most importantly – no several pots and pans to clean afterward. And this beef and potato soup might just be my favorite one-pot meal. I’m certain it will be one of yours too!
And why wouldn’t it? Imagine a steaming, hearty bowl filled with tender, melt-in-your-mouth pieces of chuck roast, earthy bell peppers, and creamy potatoes smothered in a flavorful broth. How could you resist? The answer is, you can’t. This beef and potato soup will pleasantly fill your home with an irresistible aroma while it cooks on the stove in one pot.
Do you peel your potatoes when you prepare them for a dish? There are pros and cons to peeling vs. leaving the skin on. You can learn all about that here!
The key players in this one-pot beef and potato soup
The beef. Obviously, right? Opt for boneless chuck roast that you can cut yourself into bite-sized pieces. Don’t remove all the fat either – a little amount of fat goes a long way in terms of flavor.
Plenty of veggies. I like using a combination of potatoes, bell peppers (yellow or red), and carrots. Lots of chunky pieces for this chunky soup. Feel free to add other veggies you might have at home too, like celery. These veggies pair perfectly with the beef.
Seasoning. Onion, cumin, coriander, bay leaf, and lots of fresh dills add an incredible amount of flavor.
Your family will love this easy recipe that results in a hearty, healthy, and delicious soup. All made in one pot.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this dish:
- olive oil
- black pepper
- bell pepper
- bay leaf
How to Make Beef and Potatoes All in one pot
One Pot Beef with Potatoes
- cutting board
- 1½ lbs potatoes
- 1½ lbs beef, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ lb carrots, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- dill, to decorate
- Add 3 Tablespoons of olive oil to a 5-6 quart Dutch oven or pot.
- Add 1 1/2 lbs of stew sized beef into the pot, season with 1 Tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, and 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook until the beef is brown on all sides.
- Into the pot, add 1 thinly sliced onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until soft but not brown.
- Add 1/2 pound or 4 small chopped carrots and chopped pepper (2 small carrots, or 1 big). Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add 1 1/2 pounds of cubed and cut potatoes and add water just to cover the potatoes.
- Put in the bay leaf and salt to taste.
- Bring to simmer on medium-low heat. It will cook for about 30-40 minutes. Enjoy !