With this delicious avocado chicken soup, you can lower the calorie intake from a traditional chicken noodle soup by substituting the noodles with avocado! You will still have a great chicken soup flavor! This way, it’s a gluten-free and low-calorie soup. Plus, avocados are good for you by providing healthy fats. Also, chicken provides lean protein!
Soup is so underrated. It’s an easy way to get in those veggies and protein. And it’s perfect for those busy weeknights. Soup is the perfect thing to cozy up to during the chillier nights. And with us easing into Fall, we love having a bunch of soup recipes on hand.
This avocado chicken soup is healthy, flavorful, and incredibly easy to make. Imagine your favorite chicken noodle soup, minus the extra carbs. You get the same delicious, cozy, hearty flavors. But this time, with some added nutrients from the avocado.
Why I Love This Avocado Chicken Soup:
Great source of nutrients. Let’s start with the chicken. Chicken is a great source of protein and isn’t as high in calories as compared to other meat proteins. I’ve used chicken thighs for extra flavor, but if you’re looking for leaner meat, feel free to use chicken breast. Avocados are incredibly nutritious. They’re loaded with monounsaturated fatty acids which are great for a healthy heart. They are also rich in a variety of vitamins, clocking in at 20 different vitamins and minerals.
Easy to make. There isn’t much prep work that goes into this soup. It comes together in 1.5 hours, and most of that is from boiling the chicken. You’ll also notice you have most of the ingredients at home.
Tastes so good. Seriously, this thing is comfortable in a bowl. You wouldn’t even believe it’s healthy for you. That’s how flavorful it is. It isn’t over-spiced. Overbearing. It’s not a ton of different flavors that make absolutely no sense together. Rather it’s a comfort meal with balanced flavors.
If you’re wondering what to make for dinner, grab some chicken and avocados. This soup won’t disappoint!
How to make Avocado Chicken Soup:
Avocado Chicken Soup with a Recipe Video
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boneless & skinless, with fat cut off
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 large Yukon potatoes, chopped
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, chopped
- fresh dill, chopped (optional ingredient)
- Boil 1 pound of chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon of salt in 6 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Drain water from the chicken into a bowl then set aside.
- In the same pot, heat up 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic, chopped tomato, and chopped potato. Add the water from the chicken back into the pot.
- On medium heat, boil the vegetables until the potato is soft.
- Shred chicken thighs and add them to the pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chopped avocado to each bowl and garnish with dill before serving.